New players unite! Josh and Greg lead the community in compiling their best tips for new players jumping into Age of Empires Online. This week, we start with the basics: picking your civilization, setting up your capital city, and starting your first quests.
- Be a noob
Noob Question #1: What does AOEO change from earlier AOE games?
- Leveling civs individually
Noob Question #2: What civilization should I play?
Do you like to try before you buy or go all-in?
- Pro (Persians, Babylonians, Norse) — skip early levels, get decent gear
- Premium (Greeks, Egyptians, Celts) — learn units gradually, more story with campaign
What kinds of quests are you looking for?
- Easy — Greek
- Simple — Egyptian
- Complex — Celts
- Out-of-the-box — (go all out!) Pro civ, buy Northern Invasion + Fertile Crescent
Do you want to focus on infantry, archers, priests or horsemen?
- Infantry: Celts, Norse
- Archers: Persia, Greeks
- Priests: Egypt
- Cavalry: Egypt
Do you like to turtle or jump out the gate early?
- Turtle: Babys
- Rush: Norse
What was your favorite civilization in AOE2?
IF IT WAS…
- Aztecs (infantry + frontline priests)
- Celts (infantry + siege)
…PLAY THE CELTS!
- Byzantines (buildings + counters)
- Chinese (economy, science)
- Teutons (Buildings, economy)
…PLAY THE BABYLONIANS!
- Goths (fast infantry, mobile + empowered Barracks)
- Huns (fast rush and constant harrass, but not cav archers)
- Vikings (infantry + boats, weak cav, decent archers)
…PLAY THE NORSE!
- Japanese (Fishing, Infantry)
- Spanish (Trade, missionaries, versatile)
- Turks (gunpowder, late-game offensive)
- Briton (archers) – Greek?
- Mayans (archer, resources) – Greek/Baby?
…PLAY THE GREEKS!
- Mongols (cavalry)
- Persians (Elephants!)
- Saracens (camels, with strong infantry and archer support, navy)
…PLAY THE EGYPTIANS!
- Franks (ranged infantry, knights, and Castles)
- Koreans (Defense, Siege, Sea)
…PLAY THE PERSIANS!
How to set up capital city
- Customization buildings
Why play AoEO?
- Improvements since launch
- Skirmish Mode is the best part of AOE2
- New civs added 4 times a year
- More campaigns than earlier AOE games
Greg is an entertainer extraordinaire, gondolier and PC Gamer contributor. Josh is a game designer at SOE and former editor for PC Gamer and the Official World of Warcraft Magazine.