The Hearthstone community is awesome. We’ve got player-run friendly tournaments, sponsored tournaments for the pros, strategy groups that get together to talk about the latest decks and how to play them, social clubs, and everything in between.
This week, we bring on a listener of the show who’s hosted professional-quality esports tournaments for years to share his expertise and experience to help anyone in the community start their own tournament of any size! Start small with a core group of friends, and grow it over time.
- Catch up on the recent Dreamhack tournament!
- Read about the 2014 Hearthstone World Championship!
- Watch our livestreams of Hearthstone
- Download the game right now!
- Nathan “Slight” Wuertz is on the show this week
- Topic: Hosting community events and tournaments
- Reasons to be happy this week
- Tournaments: ESL America, Zotac, GosuCup, Soulfire Sundays
- Viewing Parties
- Player gatherings
- School clubs
- Online gatherings
How To Pick Your Event
- Online vs. Offline
- Competitive vs. Casual
- Tournaments vs. Other
How To Run The Event
- Tournament types
- Player count
- Other rules
The Happy Hearthstone-approved First Tournament Format!
- Group stage: Best-of-3 round robin
- Semi-finals and Finals: Best-of-7, single-elimination
- Winner must use the same deck next game, loser can change
- No sideboards or editing of decks during a single head-to-head
- Stream it, and share links to all players’ (delayed) streams
Tools For Tournaments
- Documents/Registration: Google Drive
- Tournament Structures: XFire, Challonge, BinaryBeast
- Communication: Skype, Raidcall, IRC (for large tournaments)
- Contact Nathan with any questions! (Email said in the show)
- Ian Zacharias: How to handle misplays in tournaments?
- iTunes Reviews: Thank you!
Card of the Week
- Follow Nathan on Twitter
- Follow Hearthwars, Nathan’s Hearthstone tournament series on Twitter
- Subscribe to Hearthwars’ Twitch page
- Watch this week’s HearthWar’s tournament!
- What you want to see in future episodes
- What hosts you want to visit the show