Hearthstone’s a brand new game, but it’s built on top of a rich heritage of tabletop card games, especially the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game that’s been running since 2006. Matt from the Outlandish podcast joins me this week as we talk about how Hearthstone is borrowing mechanics from its predecessors while blazing its own trail into a whole new area.
- See the hero abilities
- Watch the Shaman vs Mage game
- Sign up for the beta!
- Check out Matt’s awesome podcast!
- Matt is on the show this week
- Topic: WoW TCG and Hearthstone’s tabletop roots
- Reasons to be happy this week
Who is Matt?
- History with card games
- History with Blizzard games
- Favorite hero in WoW TCG
Summary of WoW TCG
- Released in 2006
- Gameplay overview
- WoW loot cards
- What is it?
- Why do we hate it?
- WoW TCG’s solution
- Hearthstone’s solution
- Will it work?
- WoW TCG’s history of releases
- Magic’s style of releases
- Hearthstone’s plan?
- Do we need/want constant releases?
Instant-speed vs Secret Cards
- WoW TCG + Magic have instant cards
- Hearthstone has secret cards
- Good enough?
Elements adopted from WoW TCG
- Choosing what your creatures attack
- Permanent health
- Do we like it in Hearthstone?
Other WoW TCG elements we want in Hearthstone
- More heroes
- Different health totals
- In-game loot
- Talent Specializations
Card of the Week
You thought he was here to help? Nope! He wants your soul.
- Follow Matt on Twitter
- What you want to see in future episodes
- What hosts you want to visit the show