Redbeard launched a revolution in our last deck battle episode when he finally toppled the 6-month reigning deck to claim the throne for his Barbarian Warrior deck. This week, the first challenger approaches: a Spell Power-heavy Druid deck designed to stall to the late-game and nuke you down in one, horrifying turn.
Can the lunar-powered Druid handle the might of a rage-filled Warrior loaded to the gills with weapons? We find out this week!
- Vote for your favorite Hearthstone posters!
- Read about the 2014 Hearthstone World Championship!
- Watch our livestreams of Hearthstone
- Download the game right now!
- Mick is on the show this week
- Topic: The Arcane Druid deck
- Reasons to be happy this week
What is a Deck Battle?
Once a month, a guest host brings their favorite deck onto the show to battle the current reigning champion deck for control of the Happy Hearthstone Deck Battle Throne!
If the challenger wins the best-of-3 series, their deck becomes the new Reigning Champion Deck and will fight off future challengers until it loses, or until it’s earned its place in the Happy Hearthstone Hall of Fame!
- The Arcane Druid: Stay alive. Kill them with massively empowered spells late.
- How it wins: This is a Druid control deck that ramps up nicely into a Spell Power massacre. It takes advantage of an under-utilized Legendary, Malygos, and a number of versatile Druid Spells to really frustrate and confuse your opponent.
Five Key Cards
- Malygos: You can’t really play the deck without him. Sorry.
- Swipe: Once buffed, it destroys everything. Great for board clears and can be used to go to your opponents face.
- Ancient of War: So very versatile, but he’s really there to set up the Malygos Drop. Ironbarks can be used as a substitute.
- Starfire: Once Malygos is out, this becomes a super cheap, straight-to-the-face Pyroblast. Paired with Swipe, you can do 19 damage in one turn and clear the board.
- Wrath: Early game, this is great for helping you keep the board clear.
Full Deck List
You can get more insight into the deck by reading Redbeard’s guide, which goes through every single card with full explanation and advice, but here’s the simple deck list with no commentary (ordered by mana cost), if you’d rather just try it out yourself.
- 1x Kobold Geomancer (2)
- 1x Pint Sized Summoner (2)
- 1x Big Game Hunter (3)
- 2x Keeper of the Grove (4)
- 1x Spellbreaker (4)
- 1x Azure Drake (5)
- 1x Faceless Manipulator (5)
- 2x Ancient of War (7)
- 2x Ironbark Protector (8)
- 1x Cenarius (9)
- 1x Malygos (9)
- 2x Moonfire (0)
- 2x Claw (1)
- 2x Wrath (2)
- 2x Healing Touch (3)
- 1x Mark of Nature (3)
- 1x Bite (4)
- 2x Swipe (4)
- 2x Starfall (5)
- 2x Starfire (6)
If you don’t have all of the ideal cards, here are some quality backups and alterations you can make that keep with the same theme and strengths of the deck.
- Dalaran Mage (replace Kobold Geomancer)
- Ogre Magi (replace Azure Drake, Keeper of the Grove, or Spellbreaker)
- Archmage (replace Faceless Manipulator or Azure Drake)
- Ironbark Protector (replace Cenarius)
- Druid of the Claw (replace Ironbark Protectors or Ancients of War)
- Lord of the Arena (replace Ironbark Protectors or Ancients of War)
- Sunwalker (replace Ironbark Protectors or Ancients of War)
- Naturalize (replace Starfall)
The Defending Champion Deck
Redbeard’s Barbarian Warrior Deck uses weapons and fast-acting minions to put the pressure on early and keep momentum up into the mid-game.
The Barbarian Warrior Deck has reigned supreme for 1 month, and has beaten 1 deck before this episode.
- Who won
- Obligatory bragging session
- Challenger Deck: How well did it perform?
- Defending Deck: How well did it perform?
- Best moments in the matches
- The Happy Hearthstone Champion Ceremony(tm)
- Scott Valentine: “Do you hold onto silence effect cards for late-game or play them early? Have you had any creative uses of Silence.”
- iTunes Review: Callum Orr
Card of the Week
- Listen to Mick and Josh on Mick’s podcasts: The Starting Zone and Stormcast
- What you want to see in future episodes
- What hosts you want to visit the show