It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes 10 generations of a village to raise a hero, apparently. This week, we jump into Hero Generations: Regen, a turn-based RPG where every action takes a year off your life. You’re tasked with taking on monumental challenges and must do your part before you die and pass on the torch to your child, who will carry on the family legacy.
NOTE: There are two versions of this game for sale on Steam — “Hero Generations” and “Hero Generations: ReGen”. ONLY buy the ReGen version (it’s a straight upgrade). When in doubt, use the links at the bottom of this post to make sure you’re buying the right one.
Listen to the Podcast:
Subscribe to The Game Diplomat Podcast on iTunes, Google Music, or RSS!
Watch Me Play Hero Generations
How to Play Hero Generations
- You start with a random dude with nothing to his name and a need for violence, treasure, and procreation.
- You’re looking at a top-down, grid-based world and everything is covered in fog. Like a typical downtown San Francisco day, but instead of bums and million-dollar studio apartments, you’re surrounded by monsters, trees, and cool sites to explore.
- So you set out into the fog, with dreams of loot and glory. You cut down trees, battle monsters, and recover artifacts to get resources.
- Each action you take is a day of your life — and you can see the sands of time slipping away as you adventure.
- Combat is a simple dice roll, where your maximum roll is determined by your stats and gear. You don’t have a health bar or anything like that. Instead, damage directly affects your remaining days.
- You can also build buildings, upgrade towns, and invest in other infrastructure that will outlast your own life.
- You eventually have to get back to a town. Because towns have other people — and you need to find one to settle down with and have a child with. If you die before you can procreate, your game ends and you have to start again.
- Thankfully, you’re spared the nuances of child-rearing, and it’s many potential pitfalls. Instead, the game fast forwards 16 years and you pilot your child immediately.
- You step out into the world (which has changed, but you’ll see the longterm changes and buildings that your father or mother had built on the land before you. And then you go out and try to carry on your family legacy!
7 Reasons to Drop Everything and Immediately Play Hero Generations
(Each of these points is discussed in detail on the podcast. Listen to it!)
- The aging process forces you to plan your peaks!
- Your best strategies cross multiple generations!
- Doomsday approaches!
- Zone sweepers give you smaller doomsdays to avert!
- There’s a lot to explore!
- Get quests in each zone!
- Build your legacy!
Get It Now!
- Costs $15
- Steam, Humble Store, iOS, Android
- Official Site
- Trivia Question: Which of these is not a trait your child can be born with? Greedy, Farmer, Titan, Vampire, Warrior
- SUPPORT the show with your contributions of time or money!
- SUBSCRIBE to The Game Diplomat podcast on iTunes, Google Music, or this RSS feed
- SAY HI to me on Twitter or email me. Or come talk with us every day, all day in our Discord server!